Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I Cooked a Chicken

I cooked a chicken. Not just a chicken breast. A whole chicken. This is a first! And it was a success. I wouldn't say that I made up the recipe, I just put something together based on other recipes I'd read. Here's what I did.

We got a two pack of cornish hens for this project. They look really small, but we cooked one and it was the perfect size for us! No leftovers=success. I stuffed the inside of the hen with onions and crushed cloves of garlic, then I coated the outside of the hen with oil and seasoned with sage, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I rubbed the seasonings in, because that's what you're supposed to do. It's a little icky, but I wanted to make sure everything was pretty evenly seasoned. I baked it for an hour at 380 (it's supposed to cook until it has an internal temp of 180- and beautifully golden brown), then I let it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes before cutting.

As I was cutting it (which, by the way, is harder than it looks), I realized that I forgot to take a picture. I can't believe I didn't take a picture! It was pretty :) I wish you could have seen it.

In other news, we've got some busy weekends coming up. This weekend, Lan's brother is coming to visit and we're beginning the search for a new chair for the living room (yes, I hope there is another monkey picture in my future!). The next weekend, MSU is playing Houston here so we've got lots of college friends coming to visit. Then, the week after that I'm heading back to Mississippi for the SSRC's 60th anniversary celebration! Busy, busy, busy.

More updates on our life next week. Love from Houston!

1 comment: