Monday, April 18, 2011

We Ran a 5K

Those of you that have known me for a long time know that I ran cross country in high school. It wasn't my favorite thing ever, but I did enjoy the benefits that came along with it (being fit, for instance).

When Lan and I got married, we committed to working out together 3 times a week (Lan does much more alone, I stick to the minimum 3...). Since we don't have a gym membership (not worth the money), my workout of choice is running. Lan also enjoys running (he's been an avid runner since high school).

As a little extra motivation, in January, we decided to run in a 5K our church was sponsoring, benefitting Aid Sudan. We signed up, and started training (well, sort of). Neither of us care about being the fastest ones on the track, but our goal was to run the whole way without stopping (something I rarely did in high school XC). So, we ran. A lot.

The race was terribly early a couple weekends ago and I'm happy to report that we both ran the whole way! Lan ran it about 30 seconds faster than I did.

We both got passed by a pregnant woman running with a stroller with a small child inside AND a woman running with a double wide stroller with TWO children inside, but such is life. We ran the whole way and are happy.

Another goal of ours was not to finish last, which we also accomplished! We both finished in the middle of our age groups.

The 5K is over now, but we're still running together. It was fun to train and work towards a goal together, and we can't wait to do it again!

Love from Houston,

L and J

No comments:

Post a Comment