Friday, November 4, 2011

Sweet Treats - Chocolate Chip Cookies

This recipe is the New York Time's favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe (or that's what the pin said anyway). I found it through Pinterest/Tender Crumb. Seriously. How can you resist a recipe like this??

Well, let me tell you. The ingredients are a little daunting because it calls for two types of flour - bread and pastry. Bread flour was easy enough to find, but I couldn't find pastry flour! Through some internet research, I found an acceptable substitute - 3 parts cake flour to 1 part all purpose flour. The poster from Tender Crumb encouraged not to do this, so if you can find pasty flour, go for it! But I think it's kind of a specialty item.

Also, Tender Crumb encourages you to buy the chocolate bars (not like Hershey's - the ones from the baking aisle) and chop your own chocolate. I know that would have been better, but they were really expensive, so I went for the chocolate chips (bittersweet, always, not milk).

These were SO GOOD. I made a batch and then refrigerated the leftover dough and we ate off it for several days. Lan told me I'm not allowed to go back to my old chocolate chip cookie, so it must be good, right?


My Picture

I felt the need to include this one because it looks way yummier than mine! (See how they used the chopped chocolate instead of chips? Yum!)

Jacques Torres' Secret Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
Makes twenty-six 5-inch cookies or 8 1/2 dozen 1 1/4-inch cookies (that's a lot, so I reduced the recipe by half, I think)

Ingredients
1 pound unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
2 1/4 cups packed light-brown sugar
4 large eggs
3 cups plus 2 tablespoons pastry flour (3 parts cake flour to 1 part all purpose flour)
3 cups bread flour
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
2 pounds bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped (I used chips)

Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugars.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Reduce speed to low and add both flours, baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, and chocolate; mix until well combined.
- Using a 4-ounce scoop for larger cookies or a 1-ounce scoop for smaller cookies, scoop cookie dough onto prepared baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake until lightly browned, but still soft, about 20 minutes for larger cookies and about 15 minutes for smaller cookies.
- Cool slightly on baking sheets before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.


You MUST try these! They are yummy.

Enjoy! :)

Love from Houston,
L and J

No comments:

Post a Comment